Commercial electricians are licensed and trained professionals who perform electrical wiring for commercial buildings in addition to residential buildings. Commercial electricians operate with bigger electrical systems for large buildings such as restaurants, shopping malls, and high rises, factories and more. During training, both commercial and residential electricians receive similar training.
What exactly do commercial electricians do?
These professionals inspect, maintain, install, and repair electrical systems in commercial buildings. Some of the duties of a commercial electrician include but are not limited to:
- Installing electrical and wiring components like lights and switches
- Maintaining electrical systems in commercial buildings
- Inspecting electrical systems in order to ensure they function properly
- Fixing and diagnosing problems in wiring components
- Reading and applying electrical drawings
- Planning electrical systems for upcoming construction projects
- Using and following both national and local regulations in regards to their duties
- Training apprentices and leading teams of electricians during construction projects.
Training and Licensing for Commercial Electricians
According to national and local laws, for you to qualify to be a commercial electrician you must successfully complete an apprenticeship. After completion, you are allowed to apply for a license; at this stage, you can work unsupervised. Below is a step by step guide on how to become a commercial electrician:
- You are required to enroll for a certificate II. This is an electrotechnology course. It gives you insight about the career in general.
- After completing the course, you are required to apply for an apprenticeship in a credible and licensed organization. This program lasts for four years, and includes structured training for the purpose of completing Certificate III in electrotechnology.
- Once you have completed your apprenticeship, the next step is to apply for a license. It is important to note that registration and licensing varies from one state to the other. You should, therefore, be keen when applying.
Why should you hire a Commercial Electrician?
- Quality assurance
- This is perhaps the most important reason you should engage commercial electricians in your projects. If you intend to engage in some homework driven electrical work, it is highly advisable that you consider hiring the services of professional commercial electricians like ElecSmith. We boast a workforce of highly trained individuals who are committed at offering their clients value for their money.
- They stay up to date with compliance requirements
- There are both national and local regulations in regards to this field. These guidelines provide the minimum safety requirements that must be observed by commercial electricians during installations, or during electrical maintenance. This is done for the purpose of protecting property owners from professional negligence.
- Bad wiring, repairs and installation is a major cause of fires
- Faulty wiring is a leading cause of fires across the world. Apart from causing fires, faulty wiring may cause electrical shocks and even death. By engaging trained professionals, you minimize these risks drastically as a property owner. Additionally, engaging professionals saves you money in the long run especially if you frequently engage them for electrical maintenance.
- Commercial electricians do not take shortcuts
- Fully trained electricians from ElecSmith know better than to take shortcuts while performing their duties. If there is anything needed during installation or electrical maintenance ElecSmith electricians always make sure you are aware of it. Taking shortcuts in this field may be the cause of serious damage to both property and life.
At ElecSmith, we are committed in providing you with state-of-the-art electrical services. Our staff of highly trained commercial electricians is always willing to guide you during your construction project or maintained projects; and most importantly, we take pride in offering our clients value for their money.
ElecSmith are your local licensed electrical contractors. We specialise in:
- Light installation
- Electrical maintenance
- Switchboard upgrades
- Electrical rewiring
- Domestic electrical work
- Commercial electrical work
- Industrial electricians
- Electrical faults
- Electrical safety
- Air conditioning installation
To book an appointment, please call our friendly team on 0404 027 457. Our team is ready to service you in Melbourne.